Saturday, August 17, 2013

2D or 3D?

A major part of my life was spent on 3D, but unsuccessfully, till date. No idea if my 3D skills may come to use in future.

Lack of time, bitterness of present life, coping with present job etc. etc. have brought me to a wasteland, and made me standstill, confused.

Want to start again, earnestly! But with what? 3D again? Not this time, I guess. Some questions came up.

Where are the practical usage of 3D characters? In video game industry and animation studios. We see that the animation studios mostly make cartoony type of movies, therefore cartoony type of characters. And that is not my cup of tea. Real life figures? Hardly they are put to use in 3D animation movies. Only I can remember of Bewoulf. 3D characters like living humans. Now the point is that, if we need to make real looking 3D characters, is it not like holding the nose getting around the head? The movie better can be shot with living characters! Without the hassle of those ultra complicated 3D technicalities.
And in games, yes. Real human like characters are made and used there. But the point is, is it my taste at all? Just to create the characters in T poses and pass it on down the pipeline? Or to create stories?

Stories! Yes! That's what it is! Since childhood stories came flowing into mind. I used to be a storyteller. Now, I was searching for a medium to 'record' those imaginations. 10 years (or more) back, I opted for the 3D medium, allured by it's realism.
Realism! Now it seems 'Plastic'! Artificial! I was so determined with it, that I lost the way. Went through the hardest path to learn it! Paid a big chunk of my life... what for? To end up and see no opportunities, not a pinch of appreciation, recognition, forget about livelihood! And also, the technicalities came across the way of lucid and free flowing creativity. I tried my best to make ways to use 3D characters with ease, as if with ragdolls, but no, not so easy it ever became.

Despite of lacking the precise computer generated '3D looks and feel', the hand painted drawings attracts no less! Modern drawing techniques can make a drawing more attractive and tasteful to eyes.
And free of technical clutter, like we face while creating a 3D character.

So why not turn the way?

No comments: